- Download 69
- File Size 2 MB
- File Count 1
- Create Date December 23, 2022
- Last Updated December 23, 2022
Field Guideline 1: STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE FOR DRINKING WATER SUPPLY & MULTIPLE USES WATER SERVICES
Field Guideline 1: STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE FOR DRINKING WATER SUPPLY & MULTIPLE USES WATER SERVICES, approved by Supervisory Board 29.9.2022.
Step-By-Step approach was developed to guide all stakeholders through a participatory and truly interactive planning and implementation process. It aims to build the capacity and sense of ownership in the communities to ensure future sustainability of these highly decentralised community-managed rural infrastructure schemes. Attention is also paid into the most efficient use of water for multiple-uses for enhanced livelihoods. This Step-By-Step Manual builds on the lessons learned in Rural Village Water Resources Management Project (RVWRMP) Phases I to III in Karnali and Far-west Provinces (2006-2015), and earlier experiences in Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Support Program in Western zone (1990-2005) as well as experiences of Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project in Western Nepal (RWSSP-WN) Phase I and II (2008-2019)
Step-By-Step Approach guides multiple stakeholders through the planning, implementation and post-construction phases. It translates the multi-layered complex principles of good local water governance and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programme into do-able real steps backed up by systematic capacity building at the community level.
Step-By-Step approach has four main phases:
- The first phase: Preparation of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Plan (WASH Plan).
- The second phase: Preparatory Phase
- The third phase: Implementation This Step-By-Step Manual focuses on the second and third phases.
- The final phase: Post-Construction Phase. The activities under this phase are further supported by the Post-Construction Manual (referring RVWRMP manual updated in 2018). This phase is very specific for each unique situation: in the big drinking water supply schemes, the post-construction phase can be fully focused on sustainable Operation and Maintenance and related WUSC management practices. In some locations the focus can be fully on sanitation and hygiene, in some others on livelihoods options.
All phases must pay attention to the SUSWA Project Implementation Manual (PIM) and Gender Equality, Disability and Social Inclusion (GEDSI) Strategy, Human Right based Approach (HRBA) as well as to the relevant chapters of the Local Government Operation Act, 2074 and respective regulations formulated by local government.
This Step-By-Step Manual is a comprehensive revision of the earlier versions of RVWRMP- III Phase. This updated version focuses on planning and implementation of individual gravity flow/lift water supply and multiple-use water systems. This Step-By-Step Manual focuses fully on the capacity building of the WUSCs. Technical training for Village Maintenance Workers (VMWs), Local Latrine Builders (LLBs), masons and Rainwater Harvesting Masons, or those aimed at such other stakeholders as livelihoods groups and Community Organizations are not included in this manual.
Sustainable WASH for All (SUSWA)
Project Support Unit (PSU)
Kalinchowk, Surkhet, Karnali Province, Nepal
Table of Contents