- Download 38
- File Size 7.49 MB
- File Count 1
- Create Date May 31, 2023
- Last Updated May 31, 2023
Sanitation Market Analysis Report
This analysis was done by iDE for SUSWA in March 2023.
The objectives of the Deep Dive analysis was the following:
The main objective of this deep dive is to draw a holistic picture of the sanitation scenario in Karnali Province and to assess the market system for sanitation to design interventions to increase access to improved sanitation products.
● Uncover insights related to the perceptions, motivations, and barriers for users to purchase, adopt, and maintain latrines;
● Uncover insights related to the perceptions, motivations, and barriers to
suppliers/producers to create, sell, and maintain latrines;
● Understand the financial and social costs and challenges faced by households with latrine adoption/lack of adoption; and,
● Understand consumer and actor insights related to a desirable, viable, and feasible business model: 5 P’s (Product, Price, Promotion, People, Place).
iDE used a Human Centered Design approach to HEAR, CREATE and DELIVER products and services with the user as the center of focus. These three lenses shape the full research process from HEAR to CREATE through DELIVER.
Desirability (Social)—What do users need and want? What are the drivers and barriers to adoption? What incentives drive their decisions? What is the entire user experience, from the moment they are exposed to the solution to their ongoing use and maintenance?
Feasibility (Technical)—What can be done technically? Will this technology work locally and in environmental constraints?
Viability (Economic)—What is financially and economically viable? Is there a financing model and incentive structure that allows this solution to be sustained for as long as it is needed?
During the deep-dive, the team collected data and Information on different markets within Karnali province using three main methods:
● Review of literature available online or provided through key stakeholders along with iDE’s previous market assessments
● Semi-structured key informant interviews (KIIs) completed in-person with government agencies, development partners, sector specialists, and the private sector
● Field immersion visits, which include a combination of observational techniques, key information interviews, focus group discussions and household deep dives
The team uncovered significant insights around the assumptions, consumers and service model, and products during the deep dive. The team produced a Sanitation Market Map and some of the insights on both household and market level include; lack of consistent definition of “Improved Latrine”, lack of awareness is the major issue for maintaining proper hygiene, food is more important and most households are food insecure, seasonal migration hinders investment in latrines, Dalit Communities are even more deprived of sanitation, Sanitation business is not standalone business, Lack of Latrine Producers, Transportation is a major issue for the latrine business.